Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Conversation With Our Silent Partner

* The following exchange recently took place in a nondescript music store in a nondescript strip mall on a quiet stretch of road connecting Nowhere and Not Much Else.

Whapitty whap whap!

(went my hands on the bongo drums)

Whapitty whap WHAP!

"Whoa whoa whoa! Pardon me, but we have a strict policy concerning the handling of the instruments. An employee of CKG's Music Exchange must be present. Now, may I help you?"

"Figured I'd find you here," I replied. "We put the band back together, remember? Or did you forget already?'

"The band?"

"Yes, the band. You, me and Zed. The band. The people want the show. You know what the blog is like without you being a foil to me and Zed? It's like The Muppet Show without Statler and Waldorf. We need you man. We need you to remind us that we're wrong. That we're full of crap."

"You're wrong and you're full of crap. You are both unrefined and ill-mannered Philistines whose failure to engage in original thought is rivaled only by your failure to engage in regular deodorant use."

"See? See how easy that was?"

"Still riding around in that Ford P.O.S. with all those Rush cassettes?"

"Hey man, In the Mood never goes out of style."

"Care to poll anybody with a high school diploma on that one?"

"See? This is what I'm talking about. This is what's missing from the blog. You need to swing by, if only to leave snarky comments. It's a group blog, remember? It ain't supposed to be Waiting for Godot."

"Well, I'm refurbishing a tenor for David Murray and then I need to work on that piano that Cecil Taylor beat all to hell, but after that I'll try to stop by."

"Sounds good. I'll grab the beer and let Zed pick the wine. See you soon."

"Just one thing man. The bongos? Don't ever do that again. You break it - you bought it. And besides, don't forget what Duke said."

"I got it. I'm good. I'm gone."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Freng,
This was a classic Broncobillian* post. I knew it was you before I saw the name of the author. It was like walking into my grandmother's house for the first time in 10 years and knowing exactly where and who I was, and that while all that time had passed, it reminded me that I'm the same as I was all those years ago.

Forgive me for not responding consistently -- my work computer does not allow me to post on blogger. Wordpress is OK (so you may see me suspiciously present on other "blogs"), but not here. But don't worry, I've been reading.

I'm working on my masters here now, and I also purchased a co-dependent parrot who requires a great deal of affection and love, so I've been a little incommunicado. Im here with bells tho.

* - pronounced Bron-KOB-lee-an

Bronco Billy said...

Welcome aboard, Mr. Paul! Help yourself to whatever's in the fridge. Except the Pabst that is - that's Zed's. Come to think of it though, 10 years ago weren't you buying Pabst with a fake I.D.? Just sayin', nah'mean.

Unfortunate indeed that the iron boot of THE MAN prevents you from participating during business hours. A master's? A parrot? Your future career as a talking head CNN expert on piracy can't be far behind. Clearly, we have much to discuss during your upcoming visit to the capital of consultants, lawyers, lobbyists and other self-important jerkweeds.