Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, but She's a Purty One Sometimes

"Go look at the moon now! 2010 til next eclipse. Stop reading. Go!"

It was just a text from Heather received at 10:04 p.m., but it had a kind of forceful "mission from God" edge to it, and so even though I didn't think it would be all that spectacular of a sight, I threw on my jacket and walked outside. I looked up and...

Well, damn. How 'bout that?

Now that's not a color you expect to see in the moon. Sign of the Apocalypse indeed!

My head spun for a moment in the way it does whenever I get a rare visceral feeling of just how incredibly distant certain things are. Well played, Sister Moon. Nice to know you can still give us some one-of-a-kind glimpses that we're not going to get in our living room no matter how many dubloons we dropped on that flatscreen.

I walked back up to my apartment, turned off the TV, put a Hillard Ensemble CD in the stereo, arranged some candles around the place, and turned off all the lights. Lying on the couch, I simply let my mind wander in wide circles. Wider and wider still they wandered until they catapulted out of frame like comets.

No big revelations. No divine insights. No cheat codes for the good life. Just a cowboy beneath a peculiar sky having an odd thought or two about the journey so far and the one to come.

We'll travel no farther tonight, old horse. In pace, in idipsum dormiam et requiescam.

3 comments:

Zed said...

So, Hombre, are you sure this wasn't just some flu-medecine-induced out-of-body experience?

In a true, post-apocalyptic world, there would be no moon, no mistress, and certainly no frou-frou medieval Chant music.

No, a real cowpoke would ... sing ...

"Oh, give me a home where the buffalo roam
Where the deer and the antelope play
Where seldom is heard a discouraging word
And the skies are not cloudy all day"

... or, maybe that should be ...

"Give me a home among the gum trees
With lots of plum trees
A sheep or two, a kangaroo
A clothes-line out the back"

I dunno.

Bronco Billy said...

Frou frou?!?!

Now see here!

It was the Hillard Ensemble with Jan Garbarek, I'll have you know. Furthermore, you know as damn well as I do that unkind words about the ECM record label will not be tolerated on this blog and will get you banned on general principle.

Tarnation. Tarnation I say!

As for cowpoke songs, I'm more of a Blue Shadows man myself.

Anonymous said...

I missed the eclipse even though I knew it was happening and I was home. You see, these sorts of things don't appeal to a color-blind guy. "Oh look! The moon is green!"

I am happy, however, that connex-boxes full of boulders didn't start raining down on us